Pages

Thursday, April 21, 2011

If The Shoe Fits...


AND IT DOES!! Literally. Turns out I am not indefinitely stuck in a life where crocs are the only shoes that fit my enormously swollen feet. I am officially back in my very own shoes! Just had to start with that piece of excitement. Now this is not to say that all of my swelling is gone, but compared to what my ankles/feet looked like 3 weeks ago, I'd say they're looking pretty svelte. As I stood in the shower the other morning I actually thought to myself that they were looking pretty boney... But after a minute of thinking about that, turns out my version of bony is just being able to find that I do, in fact, have an ankle bone at all. No one could find it a few weeks ago. In high school someone told me that I had cankles... They obviously know nothing about cankles at all. I could have showed them cankles last month. In my defense, I was playing soccer at the time, and my terrible form apparently wreaked havoc on my poor legs. Anyway, that is neither here nor there.
The point is, I can wear shoes. It feels good. And I can feel my legs. Also good.
I cannot believe that 3 weeks has gone by (today!) since having our little Henry. He is a wonderful baby and time has absolutely escaped from my little world as I get completely wrapped up in each day of learning who this little person is. He changes daily, and he's such fun.
This is probably the point in my blog where if you don't want to read about poop and breasts, and anything relating to the two, you should probably just turn back now and not look back for months to come. Because currently my world revolves around those two very things. I'm sure eventually, some day, I'll have more to think about than nipples and nursing, and poop, and consistency and color of poop (let's just be clear I'm talking about Henry) but for now I really can't think of much else. It's amazing, really... I can think very clearly about nursing and when the next time will be that he'll want to eat, and how many diapers he's had yada yada, and when I get out of that circle of thoughts my brain goes back to the size of a pinhead where the end of pregnancy left it, and I can't think of what I'm doing or what I was trying to say etc. Fantastic.
I wouldn't change it though, because for now mine and Henry's days are filled with lots of fun and lots of love even though all we do is nurse and then change his diaper and do it all over again. Anyway, if these things don't interest you I apologize, but I will blog about them anyway because some day down the road I bet I'll want to read these posts and remember what the days were like when I spent them home with my tiny little boy. Soon he will be onto very different stages and I think I'll forget details quickly. In the past week he has been spending a lot more time awake and looking around with his big bright eyes, making such funny faces, and I love every minute of his quiet alert time. This morning he woke up at 6am to eat and usually he'll go back to sleep for a couple of hours after that. I was tired and hoping this would be the case but he was so wide awake and ready to take the world in that I didn't even try to get him ready for more sleep. I just popped up with him and we spent about an hour chatting and looking around. Then of course he drifted off into a peaceful 3 hour nap leaving me to sit there alone and sleepy :)
Eric and I have noticed he makes a lot more sounds now, and it's fun when something other than a grunt or a squeak pops out and we can hear a bit of his voice. It's very very sweet sounding. He also does lots of little sleepy smiles while he's napping that get us excited for when he can purposely smile at us in a few weeks.
So those are some of the ways life has changed for us, everything is so different and a big adjustment and we are loving it even through the difficult times, even in the middle of the night, all of the time. I like the way little mommy details have taken over. My bedside table is covered with things I need while nursing and changing in the middle of the night, the house is covered in random baby socks and carriers and pump parts, fleecy blankets, things that smell like our wonderful Henry. The one thing I'm not thrilled with, is the fact that I simply cannot keep up with the craziness that is the house. I have wanted to vacuum for the past 2 weeks, but it's a no go. I will do 2 loads of laundry, then not have time to put them away until the laundry piles up again. Such is life though, so much to be thankful for, I guess the vacuuming can wait another few days.

We have gotten out a bit more this week, and the weather has been beautiful. It has been sunny, bright blue skies, and upper 40 to 50 degrees-- which is great, and the air has felt so so fresh! I'm trying to find which carrier Henry likes to ride in and get him used to being carried, since we are back to work in just a week and half if all goes well. We are also working on accomplishing things out of the house with a little guy who isn't so sure about riding in the car. Today was PERFECT though as far as that goes. There was no screaming, no tears, just a quiet baby when he was both awake and asleep in the car. Ah, I love that! Hope it continues.
I think that's it for now :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from any and all of you who read our stories. Please feel free to say hello!