Pages

Thursday, November 5, 2009

November Already?

Hello everyone! I hope this as always overdue post finds you all well and adjusting to the winter months ok! I have found it so amusing that Iowa got snow before we did in Alaska... Really not all that surprising since Iowa is known for its crazy weather, but still... No one can believe that there is still NO snow here. It's actually quite warm today, no frost or anything. It feels great. I can't believe that it's already November--October just flew by with the absolute JOY of going home to Iowa and Kate's wedding. Things have been very busy up here! I'm trying to stay afloat in school as the second half of the semester flies by. I also have taken a new job, which is an absolute dream of an opportunity. I'm working at a small clinic called Midwifery and Womens Health Care, which is part of Geneva Woods, a grouping of small medical clinics. There are 4 midwives, a nurse, lactation consultant, and then a few of us who do billing, administration, birthing assistants etc. I'm doing administration, and will soon train to do birthing assistant work and maybe learn to draw blood and such! So things are really great on that end, it's a full time position and they are willing to cover my internship if I stay for a minimum of a year-- how perfect could it be? Job security, paid internship, in a setting that I love that will help spring me toward my next stage of schooling. I feel very lucky for having landed this position.
Today is an exciting day for me because I have Ted and our friend Troy over putting a new clutch in my car--which I have not been able to drive for months. It has been quite a juggling act trying to switch cars and borrow cars, and find the right part and everything, but it is happening as we speak!! I simply cannot wait to be in my own vehicle again. Weekends have been full with halloween activities, and home improvement projects. Ruth (Eric's mom for anyone who doesn't know) is up here visiting for about a month, and she is helping us retile our showers. Quite an undertaking, but Eric and David have really been on top of it, and we're about half way done with David's bathroom. Then on to ours... That is pretty much what is going on around here, everyone just trying to balance everything and get things done!
I have had a very large desire lately to get out of Anchorage and spend a little bit of time in other towns in Alaska. Sometimes the drives are the best part, and you only have to get about 15 minutes out of Anchorage and it just feels entirely different. Everything else makes you feel so much more remote, and it is just beautiful in every direction. I am hoping we can all take a little day trip to Palmer to walk around and go to the coffee shop there one of these weekend days. With all of the tiling I'm not sure how much time we'll find ourselves with, but now that I'll have my car back I can buzz there anytime I want to! I think that would feel wonderful. I'd rather do it in the company of Eric, but I like the idea of having my car and therefore the freedom to go any time I feel the need to get away from the normal routine.
I have also started babysitting for a family, about one day a week just to help out and get a little kid fix. An 11 year old named Andy, and a 3 year old named Jessica. They are both very entertaining and energetic children, and their mom Karen has really tried to make me part of the family which I have greatly appreciated. It feels nice to connect to people in so many different ways and babysitting is one of those that is a great feeling.
I was sitting in class the other day, and reading old love letters of former presidents and musicians, other well known figures. There were letters from Bethooven, and Mozart, and Reagan, and John Adams, Victor Hugo, Catherine the Great etc... They were so enjoyable, even after class I couldn't stop reading. I think it is the way they wrote back then that I love so much, though it was also sweet to see how they just spilled their every thought, and though only writing a letter, they were so poetic in the way they did. I want to share one that I really enjoyed. It is a letter written by Abigail Adams to John Adams. Eric, Jonathan and I watched a lot of the series about John Adams back in Iowa, and I felt close to them again through the letter. Written December 23, 1782
My Dearest Friend,

...should I draw you the picture of my heart it would be what I hope you would still love though it contained nothing new. The early possession you obtained there, and the absolute power you have obtained over it, leaves not the smallest space unoccupied.

I look back to the early days of our acquaintance and friendship as to the days of love and innocence, and, with an indescribable pleasure, I have seen near a score of years roll over our heads with an affection heightened and improved by time, nor have the dreary years of absence in the smallest degree effaced from my mind the image of the dear untitled man to whom I gave my heart.

I can't explain all the ways I love this letter, but I find I have many thoughts in common with her in these past few months, and it makes me feel good to read it.

I just skyped with my friend Whitney, who is currently studying in France and I miss very much. It was SO great to see her and actually hear her voice, at it has been way too long since we have been able to.

I'm off to shower and grab something to eat, so until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from any and all of you who read our stories. Please feel free to say hello!