Pages

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Back To School

Oh goodness, I just did not think I would ever be so excited to start school again but here I am, giddy as can be to be an official student again! When Eric and I moved to Alaska, I had one more semester of school which I did on exchange at the University up here. I had planned for that to be it, just a simple semester of courses... but of course the process was met with bumps in the road.  I should have expected that, trying to finish 3500 miles away from my university was bound to have a glitch or two.  First there were unexpected fees, then there were many student requests that needed to be filled out and sent, and signatures to retrieve from various professors, oh yes and then there was a baby... then redoing the requests, the signatures, the countless phone calls and emails.  Oh, the headache.   During all of that wait time though, I became increasingly anxious to get back to school and finish where I left off- the end of a program, and what turned into the beginning of the next.  In addition to finishing my program, I am also finishing the prerequisites needed to begin the IBCLC (lactation consultant) one.  I'm extremely, extremely excited for this and recently have been thinking that maybe I needed that time to just live and gain back the desire to be in school again.  I always enjoyed school, but I also spent nearly every bit of my spare time working, with my sights set on the days that would follow when it was all over.  When I could choose a career and focus on working each day, no more classes, no more tests, no more whacky exhausting schedule.  Joke's on me though, because I then became a birth assistant up here where I work at all hours of the day or night (you know those babies love the middle of the night!) and had a sweet baby of my own.  Collectively the two made the hours I keep even more crazy, and the days equally exhausting.  But wonderful.  I also have these two things, my work and my Henry, to thank for helping me to find exactly what it is I want to do.  I am glad that being a full time student has come and gone, but I wish I could tell my two-years-ago self to soak up that time because I do miss the classroom setting now.  At this time, it makes more sense for me to take these prerequisites online though, and so that is what I will do.  I'm equally thrilled about it, really.  And definitely a bit nervous.  I want to do well, but I also want to do well quickly because I know that as soon as they are over, I get to start that lactation program.  
This should be a challenge, but one I welcome.  A way to switch things up a bit.  A way to learn and grow and stretch a bit more and I love that. 
Thinking back to college, I did well in the lecture scene.  I like to see other faces, hear people talk, and soak up information through discussions.  Opening my book on my own time to study was not my best method for learning.  I am absolutely the person who reads the same sentence six times over because I start to think of something else, run through my to do list in my head, and forget all about what I had just read.  It will take discipline to do well in a setting like this, so we will see how it goes!  I am used to balancing work and class, along with other activities, but it's safe to say none of them have been as consuming as being a mother, so balance will be key for me.  And it's something I will strive for until I'm exactly where I want to be. 


On tonight's menu: Spaghetti with roasted garlic tomato sauce, and a big ole' bunch of spinach wilted in it!

1 comment:

  1. Yay!! I also have that hunger for a classroom setting and more school....safe to say I'm glad my yoga/ayurveda education will be never ending! You are such a smart woman and I know that because you are so excited about what you are doing- you will enjoy this process so much. I look forward to hearing all about it!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from any and all of you who read our stories. Please feel free to say hello!