Pages

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Dinner!

I am absolutely thrilled with the frequency that we've been cooking recently, and more so with the number of the meals being new recipes.  Well new to us.  I'm not huge on just throwing things together blindly-- I think some people just have a knack for that, and some don't.  As badly as I wish otherwise, I'm not one of those people who can just throw whatever is in the kitchen together and suddenly have a beautifully put together, should-be-a-recipe, delicious dish.  Maybe it's one of those things that will come with time, we will see.  But one of my favorite activities is looking through recipes, and the binder I keep full of them is ever-growing.  It feels nice to make my way through some of them, and also to experiment with some of the things I find in the wonderful world of Pinterest or through other blogs I stumble upon. And then of course share them here with you.
Cucumber Salsa
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
1½ teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
(We used Bragg's liquid aminos)
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
2 scallions, chopped
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
Sauce
¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce
(Again, we replaced this with Bragg's)
¼ cup mirin (Skipped this entirely because we didn't have any, or even really know what it was! Oops!)
¼ cup sugar (I did half organic cane, half brown sugar, just because the mood struck me)
2 tablespoons dry white wine
Fish
6 (3-ounce) sea bass fillets 
(We used Alaskan Cod)
½ cup all-purpose flour
a4 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoon sesame seeds
Directions:
Salsa: Make the cucumber salsa first. In a glass bowl, combine cucumber, soy sauce, vinegar, scallions, and cilantro, and mix well. Cover and set aside.
Sauce: In a medium saucepan over low heat, stir together the soy sauce, mirin, sugar, and wine. Stir frequently until the sugar is completely dissolved, about 3 minutes. Pour the sauce into a small bowl and set aside.
Dredge the sea bass in the flour. Heat a skillet on medium-high until hot. Add the olive oil and heat until hot but not smoking. Saute the sea bass for 2½ minuts on each side, until browned. Reduce the heat to medium, then pour in the sauce mixture and cover with a lids. Cook until the fish is cooked through, about 5 to 6 minutes, depending on thickness.
Place fillets on a platter, and pour the pan juices over the top. Serve immediately with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and top with salsa, or the salsa on the side if you prefer.

It turned out really interesting, and we liked it a lot!  We served it with quinoa, and a side of kale chips.  We have been eating an awful lot of quinoa recently, and although kale chips are a random thing to throw in the mix, they're delicious all of the time, if you ask me.  Even when burned (like tonight as you can see)
So that's that! I'd say it was a success, as both our plates were cleared in no time.  I think we're off to watch a movie and relax, and I'm anxiously looking forward to a bowl of greek yogurt with mini chocolate chips for dessert.  Wow, we just get more and more crazy on Saturday nights with time! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from any and all of you who read our stories. Please feel free to say hello!