Pages

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Where We've Been

Hi.  Remember me?  I hate abandoning the blog, and it stresses me out a bit every time I do it.  But we have been having so much fun up here and each night I throw myself down to rest after things wind down without much time to write.
We spent the weekend in Talkeetna, a small town north of Anchorage.  Living in Anchorage is such a different experience compared to where I've come from.  I used to drive from town to town in Iowa every single week, leaving the state for various trips when time allowed.  But up here it's hard for us to get out of Anchorage, it takes some effort to plan trips because we are sort of socked in on all sides like a bowl.  I get stir crazy, and crave a full car, on the road and heading out for new sights and experiences.  Moments outside of town I feel so refreshed, the drives are almost the best part!  We went with friends and their baby boy, to a gorgeous cabin up on a hill with a direct view of the mountains.  Seeing Denali outside the window was such a treat.  We had huge open spaces to snow shoe, a cozy small town that takes up one street to walk, and a famous breakfast to eat at the Roadhouse.  Anyone seen that episode on Man vs. Food?  Holy yum.
I have to admit that trips are a bit less relaxing for us with a baby who has naps and bedtimes that have to be considered, but it's so worth it to take him to new places.  He loves it, and it's important to us that we give him those experiences.  Traveling with Henry is one of the things I look forward to the very most and though we come home tired, we have such fun. (We have to work on being adaptable at bedtime though, because he ended up smooshed in a twin bed with me, tossing and turning most of the night)  We had the most perfect weather, which gives me more excitement than ever about the sunshine that is gaining on us by minutes every day.  One of my favorite things about Alaska, undoubtedly.












Now that we are home, it's on to planning for Henry's first birthday. (Ah!!)  I just have to say I admire you incredibly organized, great planners out there.  As much as I wish that was me, it simply isn't.  Things like planning events overwhelm me, and mostly just because I have so many ideas that I love, but can't make them happen in the end.  I so badly want to have an adorable party and wonderful pictures as memories of his first birthday, but I just have to remind myself, that it's celebrating him that is most important, not how perfect the party is.  I don't want something like this to stress me out and make me feel inadequate, I just want to celebrate my boy, and the most amazing year of life since he's been here. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from any and all of you who read our stories. Please feel free to say hello!