Pages

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Pudding For Breakfast!

Everyone has been raving about the tiny nutrition-packed seeds, chia seeds, lately.  Thanks to sites like Pinterest, there are constantly more ideas for ways to use them and incorporate them into your diet floating around the internet.  I hesitated to write about them here since I don't want to simply repeat what everyone is already saying, but they're worth the mention I think.
Like flax seeds (which we use often in all sorts of foods), chia seeds pack a lot in their tiny little selves.  They are rich in fiber and necessary omega-3 fatty acids, as well as antioxidants.  Sounds like something we can all get behind, yeah?  My favorite thing is that they are so tiny that they're easy to put in essentially anything.  Sprinkled in smoothies, on top of salads, in pancakes, etc.  You'll barely notice them.  I have been seeing loads of recipes for chia seed pudding, and I thought I'd give it a shot.  When soaked in liquid they absorb it and create a gelatinous pudding, much like tapioca.  I don't really love tapioca pudding, but I wasn't going to let it stop me from trying, and even when I don't like something I try to still offer it to Henry because he often does like it (like beans!) Anyway, I used this recipe from Deliciously Organic as a starting off point, but my measurements were different because I just wanted to use my whole can of milk :)  
It was literally the fastest and easiest thing I've ever made.  Much easier than even just instant pudding which is packed full of sugar.
I used:
1 can of light coconut milk (2 cups).  I've heard a lot of people use soy milk, almond milk, etc. 
1/2 cup chia seeds (the whole seeds not the milled ones)
That is seriously all that you need, unless you'd like to sweeten/flavor it a bit.  You can either add something at this point (I used a little bit of vanilla, and a squirt of agave nectar), or just keep it plain and top with something later.  
I've read about using cocoa powder, fruit, maple syrup, etc.  But I really loved the simple vanilla with a tiny bit of sweetness from the agave. 
Anyway, just stir it together, and put it in the fridge!  It is probably thick enough to eat after only a few hours, but we left ours over night and Henry ate it for breakfast this morning along with his Morningstar sausage patty (I know, those things together make a weird breakfast... whatever works.)

Baby-tot loved it and I did also (he's still walking around with random seeds glued to his face!)  I'm excited to experiment a little more with these little seeds.  If you have a way you love to use them, please share in the comments below!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from any and all of you who read our stories. Please feel free to say hello!