Pages

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Skin Talk


Good Morning to you!
I've been thinking a lot about my skin lately, and how to better take care of it to make it look its best.
For the last few years my skin has just gotten more and more dull, and I'm not loving it.  I think it was a combination of the dry Alaskan air year round for three years, pregnancy hormones, maybe just being a few years older, losing sleep, who knows.  But I've sort of been on a mission to get it healthy and glowy.
So far there are two things (well, three) that I find are helping, and there's one more thing I'll be trying in the future.

1. Face wash cloths.  I use the dry Olay cloths that you wet and then scrub your face with.  I find that my face gets much cleaner with these than when I use my hands or even a washcloth.  For a while I tried just using my own cloth and some organic cleanser, but for the time being these are what works best for me.  In the future I'll be trying a Clarisonic, which washes the face while exfoliating and I'm looking forward to that.  I hear it makes a world of a difference.

2. Coconut Oil.  Coconut oil is one of those things that has been used for years for skin care, but is now circulating on Pinterest and on blogs and becoming somewhat of a beauty fad.  I usually read about those fads and then just move on, never giving them a try because it's only a matter of time before something else is the new "best thing".  But this seemed worth trying.  Everyone said it's the wonder oil, can be used for basically everything and has great effects on skin.
So I bought a jar of organic coconut oil, and have replaced my moisturizer with it for the last two weeks.  I have to say, I probably won't be going back to regular moisturizer.  You need the smallest amount, it smells, great, and my skin has improved quite a bit in the past two weeks.  Really!  I feel great not putting all kinds of chemicals on my face all night when this works just as well. I've heard that if you have acne prone skin this works well to improve it.  So essentially, it's great for all skin, and a zillion uses.  (eye makeup remover, face wash, etc)  My skin has definitely had a bit more of a healthy glow since using it, and it will be so nice for the whole body during the winter months!

3.BB cream.  Like I said, I'm kind of behind in skin care trends, and a few weeks ago I had no clue what a BB cream was.  It's a cream that moisturizes, improves skin tone, helps blemishes, and provides coverage as well.  So essentially a tinted moisturizer but one that is supposed to actually help your skin not just cover it.  As soon as I heard of it I rushed out to find some.  I wanted to start with something inexpensive from the drug store first, so after reading some reviews I decided on the Garnier BB cream.  I was hesitant because tinted moisturizer has never been my favorite.  While dewy skin is nice, it always makes my face too sticky, and never gives quite enough coverage.  The Garnier one surprised me.  I actually really enjoy it and it makes my face just dewy enough.  I hear the Smashbox Photo Ready one from Sephora is perfect, so I may think of springing for it, but we'll see. For right now I'm really happy with the results from the Garnier one! And it's a quarter of the price, so I'll take it.

So that is what I have for now! I'm much happier with the feel of my skin than I was a few weeks ago, so I'm excited to see what a few more months does.


1 comment:

  1. Yes Coconut oil is the best thing for your body, face and hair! and you can swish it around in your mouth for about 5 minutes for oil pulling of getting toxins out of your body. Coconut oil and it's benefits is something we have extensively covered in Ayurveda school so let me know if you want more info! Also pure aloe vera gel for your face is really good. That's all I use and it gives that perfect dewy fresh look!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from any and all of you who read our stories. Please feel free to say hello!